This test is used to determine the shear strength of a soil sample subjected to orthogonal stress with respect to the failure plane. The sample is enclosed within a robust metal box horizontally split into two halves and provided with a vertical plunger. The shearing stress is created by imposing a movement of the lower half of the shear box, whilst applying a static load to the load plunger. In the more refined machines, called “controlled displacement equipment”, the variables that may be measured during the test are as follows: vertical strain, horizontal strain, shearing stress whilst the vertical force and displacement speed are kept absolutely constant.
Digital direct shear box, floor mounted with carriage assembly and load hanger with 10:1 lever loading device.
- Microprocessor controlled digital stepper motor.
- Control via the digital display with keyboard.
- Return datum facility.
- Fully steplessly variable speed over the range of 0.00001 to 9.99999mm/minute.
- RS232 port
- Forward/reverse travel limit switches.
- Will accept either analogue or digital measuring devices.